Skip links

What Should I Do if the Federal Government is Charging Me with a Crime?

If the federal government is charging you with a crime, you should obtain legal counsel right away from a criminal defense lawyer who has experience in federal court defending clients against the same or similar charges that you’re facing.

Some common federal crimes include:

  • Transportation and distribution of cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine
  • Cultivation of marijuana
  • Wire or mail fraud
  • Tax evasion
  • Illegal firearm offenses
  • Possession and/or distribution of child pornography
  • Human trafficking
  • Federal bank robbery
  • Computer crimes

Case-specific experience is important in determining who to hire to represent you. Even though they’re both experienced with federal crimes, a tax evasion attorney, for example, may not have the experience you want and need when facing child pornography charges. And vice versa.

Legal Defenses and Penalties for Federal Crimes

The legal defenses for federal cases depend on what crime was allegedly committed. An experienced federal crime defense attorney will be able to advise you on specific defenses that can be used in your specific case.

Since federal penalties and sentences are usually more severe than those given by Fresno County Superior Court, you want to look for a defense lawyer who can give you that high level of support in handling your case.

If the Federal Government is Charging You With a Crime …

Fresno criminal defense attorney Mark Broughton has experience defending clients facing federal crimes, with 40% of his practice consisting of the defense of federal crime.

Don’t just sit back and hope for the best if the federal government is charging you with a crime. Hire an experienced defense lawyer who will fight for you.

Contact Mark Broughton’s office today to schedule a consultation if you need help.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information.